The Blue Barricade: A Book Review

I was recently given the opportunity to read and review a new YA sci-fi novel called The Blue Barricade by Kesten Harris. I wanted to post my review here because I felt like this book would be appropriate for teens as well as young adults. I found no foul or suggestive language in the book and for my family that is a huge plus!

The following came from the book’s info on Amazon:



Wander Locke never thought the AI War would affect the small, lunar town he called home. The Aggressive Intellectuals would never come to the Moon! He wouldn't have to deal with the war that his grandfather died in. The smoldering remains of his house proved him wrong, taking his parents with it. 

He comes to realize that his little sister's body wasn't found in the wreckage. This leads him to believe that she was captured by the AI themselves. The only way to find and rescue her is to become an explorer through less than honorable means... 

The president tasks him with chasing an elusive band of rebels to New Earth, a planet where humans and martians seemingly live in peace. The secrets he uncovers about the planet are rivaled only by the secrets he’ll learn about himself, and his family’s history with the AI.

                                                                  


My review:
Kesten Harris is a brilliant author. That is the word that kept coming to my mind as I was reading through his novel The Blue Barricade, brilliant. This one is a real page-turner with many plots twists and just the right amount of action to keep a reader obsessed with finishing the book.

 Wander is very relatable as a main character. He is flawed and makes mistakes, but he is always fighting for what he thinks is right. In this story, he finds out the hard way, as so many of us do, that things are not always as they seem and that can lead to some big disappointments. But through it all, he is really just doing his best as his main goal is to protect and fight for those he loves.

 My only real complaint about this book is that it does have quite a few grammar mistakes. While I did not find it too distracting from the overall story, such mistakes are at least minor a distraction and can affect the overall performance a book has in sales. So, my recommendation to the author is to clean up those errors and then I don’t see why this book would not go flying off the shelves.


 If any of my personal friends were to ask me for a book recommendation, I would confidently tell them that Kesten Harrison’s The Blue Barricade is definitely worth picking up. It was very entertaining and a pleasure to read. I look forward to reading the sequels that I hope are coming. I can’t wait to see how the story continues!


                                                                              

My full review can be found at the Aspiring Author Blog. Be sure to also check out other great reviews, articles, and interviews with the authors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Back to My Senses

Chip and Blip (poem for kids)

I Love Fall: Poem